Violin plot maker
The tool ignores empty cells or non-numeric cells.
Violin plot generator
Click the "More Options" button to get more options. Some options, like "excluding outliers" appear only after generating the violin chart.
To download the plot as a PNG file, simply hover your cursor over the top right corner of the chart and click on the camera icon that appears..
Quartiles calculation for odd samples
When you have an odd sample, you may ask the question of how to split the sample into two. There are several valid methods to calculate the quartiles. Statskingdom usually uses option-1.
- Include the median - the median appears in both lists.
- Exclude the median - the median doesn't appear in either list.
- Combination - the average of the previous methods.
The violin chart is not sensitive to outliers, but one extreme outlier may change the chart scale dramatically.
If you switch on the exclude outliers, it scales the chart nicely but loses the outliers.
The 'violin plot maker' filters out the outliers before generating the chart.
If you switch on the 'Exclude outliers', you should choose 'No Data' or 'Show data'
- Outliers - the outliers appear as empty points, and the extreme outliers appear as filled points.
- Show data - shows all the data as points.
More options for customizing your charts
When creating charts, you have the flexibility to customize various aspects to better suit your needs. Here are some of the options available to you:
- Title - the main header, with font size
- Chart orientation - you can choose between a vertical or horizontal chart.
- Box plot
- Visible - show boxplot.
- Invisible - hide boxplot.
- Mean line
- Visible - show mean line.
- Invisible - hide mean line.
- Border width - you can adjust the thickness of the box border.
- Category Axis - this is the axis that contains the categories.
- Value Axis - this is the continuous axis, choose the name, the minimum value and the maximum value
- Chart area - you can choose the color of the entire chart.
- Background - you can choose the color of the chart background.
- Legend - vertical ot horizontal.
- Data / Outliers: by default, the color of the data points and outliers matches the color of the data column. A mild outlier appears as an empty circle, while an extreme outlier appears as a filled circle. However, you can select a uniform color for all data points across all columns. The first color is for data or extreme outliers, and the second is for mild outliers.
For mild outliers, we use Tukey's Fences with k=1.5, and for extreme outliers, Tukey's Fences with k=3..
- Line color: by default, the lines color matches the color of the data column. However, you can select a uniform color for all the lines across all columns.
- Axis Lines: the category axis is located at the minimum of the value axis. By default, we don't show the axis lines. If you want to show them, you should change the field to 'Visible'. You can also change the color and the width.
- Zero Line: the zero line is located at the zero value of the value axis. By default, we don't show the zero line. If you want to show it, you should change the field to 'Visible'. You can also change the color and the width.
- Grid: By default, we show the grid. If you don't want to show it, you should change the field to 'Invisible'. You can also change the grid color and grid width.
- Font: you can customize the font type, size, and color for all labels.
- Mirror categories - you can reverse the order of the groups.
- Mirror axis - you can flip the axis to go from the maximum to the minimum value.
- Black and White - you can customize the chart to be black and white using the following buttons: B/W-1, B/W-2.
- Customize part of a label - you may use the common HTML tags to customize labels, like <i>text</i> for italic.
By utilizing these various options, you can create charts that are tailored to your specific needs and preferences.